Sunday, June 6, 2010

55 Days to Go - The Poor Dad



My mind still cannot understand how certain people think!
"You help them but they just won't help themselves! "
Yes, I am angry but composed coz I'll end up busting they keypad of my sis' laptop.

Jimi, one of my father's workers, lived in "the mansion" as what his neighbors called during my dad's visit in their place. Yes, a mansion as it is, though slightly bigger than the neighbor's pig pen, he has 3 children 12, 10, and 2 years old. Unfortunately, his wife is pregnant of the 4th. And It is good to note that his wife is blind due to the infection brought by a cyst.

Imagine, everyday they eat for all their meals "lechon baka" (roasted beef) and "lechon baboy" (roasted pork). However, only the name is sumptuous for these are the names of the best selling one peso junk food.

His daugther, Jenny Rose, is going high school this June. While his son Tyson, the 10 year old, will soon be a member of Akrho and will be enjoying the group's benefits of free coffin courtesy of St. Peter in 5 years time.

Desperate, he went to our house a couple of weeks ago bringing the pics of his children and offered them for adoption. As my mother recounted, "He was like selling puppies!" Being an answered prayer, my parents agreed to take in Jenny Rose. You see, we have been looking for help here at home for quite a long time. My mom is the real-life-working-mom-chef-entrepreneur-buyer-seller-government-offices-goer-helper-of-her-burdened-brothers-and-sisters-disciplinarian-cook-5am-daily-mass-goer-amazing mother of all. Indeed, Jenny Rose would be a great help to lessen her arthritis and headaches.

And so arrangements were made and they brought Jenny Rose three days ago. Everybody was very excited most especially my sister. She gave her most of her dresses and stuffs looking forward to becoming an "ate". My mom got her her room and they were planning to enroll her this week at school. She was indeed a great help especially with the 5 pages to do list of my mom.

But just today, after going for a visit at their home she texted us that she won't be coming back. She said she missed her family. ( A 15 mins,7 peso ride away from our place)

"I cannot comprehend how someone who is literally handed a blessing, a lifetime opportunity, right into her hands threw it all away. I don't know why. You help them, but they don't want to help themselves!!!!" This is what my father said as I heard the news.

Just writing this post, I realized how good the world is. It is full of amazing, endless blessings and opportunities. And these blessings are dying to help you, longing to get noticed, opportunities are hungry for our attention. BUT only man shuns himself from all these. Runs away from blessings. Throws all opportunities away.

I will never forget what Kuya told me the from our first meetings..
"I have helped a lot of people...but only a very few deserves it"

And now, I understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails