Tuesday, June 15, 2010

46 Days More - Win-Win in a Win-Lose World



Practicing Win-win in these times is just a tough challenge!

A week ago, I offered a split-win-win of deal between our other branch with a wholesale of one customer, they double-crossed us.

Months ago, a customer broke a 5k worth of vase which he accidentally kicked. Screamed at us. I offered win-win, begged she would pay, even just half the price knowing our in-charge who was just their standing assisting them would get from her pocket the other pay, but she got away clean. She would pay only if we see each other in court because she's a lawyer. So everybody in the department paid for the 5k including me.

Yesterday, I faced one angry customer. She bought a plastic table and a few minutes later came back and returned the table saying that there was a crack! And yes it was there. As standard, my team would always check all possible reasons for that to occur. Three of my personnel, the one who assisted, the one who took the item from the bodega and our check-out confirmed that when they packed the item it was all clear. And if they'd notice anything they'd obviously see it.

She breaked all hell loose, raising her voice and started to tremble really bad. I was just patient, trying to ask her all questions as to what had happened, made a clear walk through. But she shouted at me asking what am I implying if I continue to ask questions, that she caused to break it? "I am a professional, if I was the one who broke it, I wouldn't have asked to replace it!"

So who did?

I continued to ask questions as it is part of making an incident report so that we won't be the one to pay the damaged table. I tried to test her and until she reached her limit, maybe a little conscience would whisper at her. In a while, she did...reach her limit  And so I decided to have the item exchanged.

All I really want was a win-win. If she really did break it, all I need is the details of what happened so that I can make a decent report. She gets her table back, and we make it clean that we are not liable of the damage.

After that, I traced the exits where they went prior to noticing the damage for they reported that it was the security guard who noticed it. And so I did in all exits. And found out that, none of our guards saw a damaged table.

My conclusion. They passed through our guards, becuase in their receipts there was a stamp, damaged the item outside in riding the taxi, rushed back, talked all the bull, screamed at everyone, lied at me, and went home happy and glorious, and would be "chismising" to their friends of their triumphant endeavor in our store.

But inspite all this, I am happy and I am proud that I am different from them. I don't need to step on people just to get what I want. I don't need to scream and treat them with disrespect because they are just salesclerks. I think win-win. And I do win-win. I manage 112 personnel and all my decisions are win-win. It's very tough in this business but hey, I'm different. I'm proud. I'm effective. I'm clean. I'm a Winner. A True Winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails