Thursday, July 1, 2010

34 Days Left - Living My Dream..Again! It Keeps on Coming!



Right after the success of my first "Coaching Session" with one of my department supervisor, I immediately took action on doing the same to my other supervisors too. And that's what I did to two of them the other day. And what did they get? Two hours of just standing while discussing to them eye opening realizations!

It started with this invitation, "What is that thing that you really want to learn ever since? Tell me and I will teach you just that."

And do you know what was their response? "Will you resign sir?"

Waaaaaah!

Actually, my intention was to teach to them techniques in answering an upcoming IQ exam they would be taking. "Sir, the last time I studied was 1984! Please help us!" Enthusiastically, I grabbed a piece of paper and drew figures as I recalled our lessons in psychometrics. But as the discussion continued, I was caught up with the idea of how I coached my other supervisor.

And so I asked them how would they want to read books. The one complained with eye problems the other with vocabulary. I told them what I just learned after listening an audio book by Zig Ziglar the previous night:

"Learn at least one word a day and its meaning, and after 4 years you will be as well read or even better than a graduate student."

Noting what the great Jim Rohn said...

"Formal Education will make you a living; Self-Education will make you a fortune"
(Oh, I so love this!)

But still I can't budge their reasons of poor eyesight and considering their age. I decided maybe it would be good this time to teach them informally like this set-up.

(Just a little background, my team of supervisors under me are waaaaay older than me. They're at age with my parents even! They have been in this company for over 15 years, the youngest of them had just reached 10 years. They have developed with the skill of selling over the years and the management have grown trust in them. "Just let me sell, but don't let work on in the computer!" is their common expression.)

The rest of our discussion was focused on making them realize that it's not yet too late to learn. We even set up tutorial schedules where I would sit-in with them and teach them the basics of the computer. We turned into talking about learning time at home, and I ended up sharing how the TV is not doing us anymore good. And in the end, I could not forget the look of enthusiasm and blankness in their eyes. Eyes that would stare at you in disbelief after they have heard such truth and possibilities.

This is only the beginning. I really hope this would continue, and of course I will do my best to continue doing this for it gives me such pleasure and fulfillment. But hey, it's only in me, the rest of the answer lies with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails