Friday, July 30, 2010

8 then 7 Days Left - The Irony of Financial Security



Isn't it ironic that when you mention financial security - meaning safe from any unexpected financial challenges - the term is associated with this image???

 Chained. Locked. Imprisoned.

I'm quite troubled to discover that I do not have enough savings for emergencies. In other words, I begin to question my financial security.

My mother had a very painstaking, highly technical and complex major surgery lately - ingrown removal. At first we thought it was just another "here-we-go-again-ingrown" problem but things got worst when her big toe started to swell badly, with flesh and liquids oozing out, plus the pain went up a notch. So we decided that this ain't just another ingrown and consulted for surgery.We estimated that all bills including surgeons fee for this operation would be around 10k. Good thing she is covered by my insurance issued by our company.

While talking things out with the whole family, everyone was just glad of the insurance. Who would have expected the turn of such events? However, thinking of it all, I came to realize that insurance or security at times matter a lot. In our company, I have a personal insurance, my dependents insurance, and I can even loan. And this thought struck my plans of resigning...my dream freedom

For 2 years of work, I'm not that confident of my savings. My only savings was from my Prulife Investment of which I only started last April and I cannot withdraw it yet until I get 5 years. The rest are just a bunch of coins, a few bills, and GC stuck in my piggy bank. So might as well declare savings = zero. 


Normally, looking at this situation I would dwell on the thought of continue moving on, believing in miracles and entrusting it all to God. However, I should also do my part. With no back-up emergency money and the fact of these inevitable things that can happen, leads me to think, maybe I should stick with the company for a while 'til I become confident on my savings...

I just realized, while typing this that I'm just too afraid that in a little time I'll be offered a promotion to a position of which if I take would mean heavier responsibilities and make it harder for me to resign.

Whew!

Well, summing it up, I still need to move on and I'll just have to. I'll continue doing on what I love as I have found out in this challenge and I'll worry that promotion when it's all in front of me. I'll make a way to earn more and fill that savings, as the saying goes...

"I'll cross the bridge when I get there..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails